Compensation Specialist, Montreal, Quebec
When you join our team as a Compensation Specialist, you will be responsible for conducting compensation research to recommend & implement solutions to improve the effectiveness of our compensation strategy. In addition, this role will provide analytical & administrative support for our base, bonus, and equity programs and ensuring compliance with legislation as it relates to pay equity and fair pay principles. This role will also be involved in special projects to re-design & improve the compensation structure to further reinforce Interfor’s compensation philosophy to our employees.
What You’ll Do
- Conduct market research using quantitative concepts & statistical tools to provide key compensation information to enhance the effectiveness of our CAN & US compensation programs.
- Complete market surveys to collect market pay data and to understand compensation trends.
- Perform job evaluations & provide compensation recommendations for the recruitment department to fairly price jobs for external candidates & internal promotions.
- Assist with administering salaried compensation reviews to adjust employee’s base salaries semi-annually, and to calculate & pay out bonuses annually.
- Complete SAR & stock option exercises on Shareworks to record accounting & payroll correctly for these equity-based transactions.
- Coordinate annual increases for hourly employees, and ensuring they are programmed correctly for each employee in our payroll system.
- Coordinate the US non-union gainsharing program with Accounting and Payroll departments.
- Perform regular integrity checks to ensure compensation data is accurate and in compliance with pay regulations.
- Assist with collecting compensation data for the quarterly Management Resources and Compensation Committee (MRCC) meetings & materials where required.
- Perform equity uploads on Shareworks where required.
- Produce ad-hoc compensation letters where required.
- Provide support with special projects related to compensation (ie. pay equity analysis, improve the current pay band framework, enhance the current job evaluation process, and provide input to the strategy of base / bonus / equity compensation design & structure).
- Involve in strategic compensation discussions and contribute/support in designing an effective compensation strategy to strengthen our competitiveness in attracting and retaining key talent.
What You Offer
- Bilingualism required – English & French, both oral and written.
- Bachelor’s degree or post-secondary diploma in Human Resources, Finance/Accounting, Business or a related field.
- 2 to 5 years of business-related work experience, preferably in compensation, payroll, accounting, or a related field.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience using ADP Workforce Now, Shareworks, Tableau, Lightcast compensation tool, Ultipro and/or Kronos Time & Attendance considered a strong asset.
- Impeccable attention to detail working with numbers, employee data and HR systems.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and reporting skills with the ability to apply statistical methods, accounting principles, and procedures.
- Strong proficiency in various Microsoft Excel functions (i.e. formulas, pivot tables, conditional formatting).
- Display tact, diplomacy and discretion in handling information of confidential or sensitive nature.
- Ability to manage multiple and constantly changing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
- Ability to learn HR systems quickly and capable of using front-end system reporting (i.e. create & run reports).
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Have a high interest to understand current knowledge of trends and developments in the field of compensation and relevant pay legislation.
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented forest products company, operating in all major forest products markets across North America. We offer one of the most diverse lines of wood products to customers around the globe, produced in safety-focused, world-class facilities. We strengthen and contribute to the local economies, build value for our employees and customers, and operate with world-leading sustainable forest management practices. We are proud to produce sustainable building materials that contribute to a healthy and sustainable future. Check out www.interfor.com to learn more about our approach to sustainability.
Interfor is one of the largest forest products companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success! #StartHereGoFar
What We Offer
Interfor builds value for our employees by providing a career where they can contribute, grow, and prosper. We offer a competitive salary, based both on what you bring to the role and benchmarked to market conditions. You’ll also get a competitive benefits package including:
Extended Health & Dental
Short Term Disability Insurance
Long Term Disability Insurance
Life and AD&D Insurance
Additional (Employee Paid) Life Insurance
RRSP Matching Plan
Participation in our Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP)
Employee Assistance Program
We want you to grow your career with Interfor. With our industry leading training programs and track record of promoting from within, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ‘Start Here. Go Far.’ Check out our Employee Development Programs to learn more at www.interfor.com/careers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.