BALANCING OUR TRIPLE BOTTOM LINE
Great Bear Rainforest: A global model for leadership
Interfor is proud to be a founding member of the Coast Forest Conservation Initiative – a collaborative effort of five British Columbia forest products producers committed to finding new approaches to forest conservation and management in an area known as the Great Bear Rainforest on BC’s Central and North Coast.
For 15 years, we worked with leading environmental groups to deliver recommendations to the Government and First Nations that would conserve forests while at the same time ensure sustainable logging could continue.
These joint recommendations from industry and environmentalists formed the basis of the Great Bear Rainforest Land Use Order (watch video) in 2016. It conserves 85% of the forests in the region and supports logging in the remaining 15%. It will ensure old growth forests for future generations and provide customers around the world with high quality wood products.
What was achieved in the Great Bear Rainforest is historic; the collaboration that drove the solutions is unprecedented.
Interfor is proud to have been part of this unique solution to a globally significant area.
See the Great Bear Rainforest backgrounder for more detail.